Safety Tips

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is a real danger to you and your family as it is a highly poisonous gas that has no smell, taste or colour. It leaks from flues and gas appliances and is created when gas is not fully burnt – normally due to faulty boilers and appliances.

People die every year in Britain from carbon monoxide poisoning and many others suffer serious health problems including brain damage, from exposure to this noxious gas.

For more information on Carbon Monoxide, visit www.hse.gov.uk/gas

The best way to prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning is to ensure that all your appliances are installed, repaired and annually serviced by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. Gas Safe Registered engineers should carry their Gas Safe Register ID Cards, so ask to inspect the ID Card before letting anyone attempt to install, repair or service your gas appliances.

If you have any concerns, you can contact the Gas Safe Register directly or check that your engineer is Gas Safe Registered by visiting www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk

What To Do If You Smell Gas

Gas leaks can pose a great danger to you and your family. If you smell gas or think that you may have a gas leak, you are legally obliged to immediately call the National Grid Gas Emergency (NGGE) 24 hours helpline at 0800 111 999.

NGGE’s Response Team will “make safe” the site, meaning that they will try to identify the leak and/or shut down the gas supply. They will not perform major rectification works on your gas appliances which have to be carried out by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. As such, it is best that you also contact Alco Gas Care simultaneously so that repair work can be carried out soonest possible to minimize the danger and your inconvenience.

Please take note of the following steps to take if you smell gas.

  • Call NGGE and Alco Gas Care immediately. If you are using a mobile phone, call from outside your house for your own safety.
  • Do not switch any electric appliances on or off, as they do spark and can set off an explosion.
  • Turn off the mains gas supply at the meter, but only do so if you do not have to turn on a light switch.
  • Turn off all gas appliances.
  • Do not smoke or light a match.
  • Open windows to ventilate the affected area.
  • Even though it might be cold and rainy, it will be safest to wait for the Gas Experts outside your home.

Just one of our testimonials…

Fitted my Gas Cooker

5

Mr Carr fitted my gas cooker with great care, and took care to observe all the safety measures. He was friendly and polite throughout. I would recommend him to anyone.

by Mrs J Venables from Redditch

Call Today on 01527 880626 or 0782 5641 006 to arrange an appointment